Monday, June 2, 2014

Chip bag shrinkies





This activity I did as a mommy time craft and surprised Ireland with them after nap. This is definitely a craft for older kids or as a mommy time craft.

I have to start off by saying that this activity at first was a major pinterest fail. The first pin that I found was from Mad About Science which said to use a 200 degree oven for 10 minutes.  Yeah nothing happened.
So after that I had to find another way to get this to work because I thought it would be perfect for my daughters dolls. 
Fail #1 no shrinking and kept it in a little to long it started to melt.

After more searching I finally found something would help but of course they went to dead end websites. Once we got this to work it was easy and fun to watch. So here is what worked for me.

What you will need:
Cookie sheet
Chip bags with the foil on the inside

Directions:
  • Preheat oven to 350
  • Wash and dry out chip bags. Make sure there are no chip crumbs .
  • Layout the chip bags out on a cookie sheet. Make sure they are not touching each other
  • Melt for 5 minutes
  • Pull out of oven and let cool. The bag will be gooey as it cools it hardens. If you need to you can trim the bag after it cools. Which is something I had to do to all my bags.

So you are probably wondering OK that's cool what can I do with it. I saw people punching holes in them making them into key chains or even necklaces. We decided to use them with Ireland's stuff animals and her American girl look alike doll which works perfect.


Would love to see your creations. Share your pictures on Instagram.

No comments:

Post a Comment