Thursday, July 17, 2014

Mommy Time: Key Cover Craft


Are you tired of trying to find the right key with your hands full with the heavy groceries? Today I have a fun mommy time craft that can be done in two ways. The first way is with scrapbook paper and the second way is with Nail polish.

The first way came from a pin from Creme de la craft. I have found a new way to use up some scrapbook paper that I have just laying around. My husband says I have an addiction to paper when I go to Micheal's or Hobby Lobby I'm always buying more...I might have to agree with him don't tell him :) When I was making this way I won't lie it was kinda hard with my key to get it to cut right but I wasn't going to give up because it looked so cute and it has been on my want to do list for a long time. I made it work and I love the way it looks. You can cut paper for both sides or you can just do one. It's totally up to you on how you want your key to look. I only did one side.

What you need:

  • Small piece of paper
  • metal key
  • scissors
  • x-acto knife
  • mod podge
1.) Trace the top of your key on the backside of the paper. After you are done cut it out with the scissors and use the xacto knife to cut the inside detail. Place on key to make sure it fits if you need to trim it up to fit.

2.) On your key place mod podge and then add your cut out on the key. Press on it to make sure it is on and rub out any air bubbles that might be present.

3.)After your paper is on the key put a layer of mod podge on the paper to seal it. Don't worry the mod podge will dry clear.

4.) Let dry and repeat on other side if you wish.

The second way was a lot easier and this could be a fun thing to do with children when they get their first house key. Because while in one of our many trips to Home Depot my daughter is always dreaming of what character she wants to get but they are so expensive! I will be doing this with her instead. And there is a plus about this if you get tired of it just use nail polish remover and change the color! I wish I knew who blogged about this idea because its a great idea thank you whoever you are!

What you will need:
Key 
Nail polish of your choice

All you do is paint a thin layer on the key. Once done let dry and repeat on the other side. Simple and cute!
The best part about glitter nail polish it doesn't leave glitter all over the place!
We would love to see your key covers share photos on Instagram!

For other cute craft ideas check out my Pinterest page

No comments:

Post a Comment