Wednesday, May 28, 2014

DIY Suncatchers




Are you ever looking for a sit down craft to do with older kids? This is a great one, my 5 year old enjoyed it. I'm not sure if it was the Mommy and me time or the craft she enjoyed more. I know for myself it was the one on one time with her. Because with two little ones I definitely don't get this a lot.

When looking on Pinterest you can find many different ideas for these melted bead sun catchers. Some people were using the muffin tins, circle cake pans or even flat cookie sheets. I decided to make it easier and not so frustrating for Ireland we would stick with something small like the muffin pan. However, when looking on Pinterest with so many ideas you find that there are different times and temperatures for the project as well. In this post I will share with you what we did to make this craft work for us.

Now you are probably thinking won't melted beads ruin my pan why would I want to do this. I was thinking the same thing when I was reading the different post but everyone was saying it was simple and no mess. And now I'm going to be another person saying it don't worry you wont be messing up your pan there will be no evidence of melted beads in your pan :)

What you will need:

  • Muffin tin pan
  • Translucent Pony Beads
  • Oven
  • Ribbon or string
  • Drill
Steps:
  • Arrange the beads however you want. You want to make sure that they are flat so when they're in the oven they melt all the way with no bubbles. This step can take some time it took about 30 minutes for each of us to finish a pan.
  • When you are ready to melt the beads preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Once preheated melt your beads for 25 minutes. *Warning with this step you might want to make sure that you have windows open because it will fill your house with the smell of melted plastic.
  • After they are melted let cool for 10 minutes. As they are cooling you will hear a little cracking sound don't worry they are not breaking they loosening up from the pan to make removal easy.
  • Once they are cool turn over and tap and the sun catchers should just pop out with no mess on the pan. 
  • Then when ready drill a small hole into the top to place the ribbon or sting into the hole.
We hope you guys enjoy this fun craft and don't forget to share your photos on Instagram can't wait to see all the different sun catchers.



For more great ideas to do with the kids check out my pinterest board
Follow Kristina Morud's board Things to do with the Kids on Pinterest.

No comments:

Post a Comment